In order to tidy up and stabilize the nomenclature, Barry is seeking agreement on an array of issues. Please add here any matters that you wish to have discussed. Names are controlled by codes of nomenclature. Paddy will try to assess each issue against the code and prepare a report
- Which code of nomenclature applies?
- - Paddy says: there is no rule that dictates if collar flagellates should be treated (from a nomenclatural point of view) under the code of zoological nomenclature or under the code for botanical nomenclature. The choice may affect the decision as to outcome of the assessment. Barry's preference, and I agree, is to use the International code for Zoological Nomenclature.
- Higher level group names - Craspedo- based names, Chaono- based names
- Codonosiga vs Codosiga
- The family, Codonosigidae vs Codosigidae
- Status of Proterospongia, relationship with Protospongia, and under what circumstances would this become invalidated (i.e. what would if someone argued that the type species was a life history stage of another species)
- To what does Monosiga apply: molecular evidence now indicates the genus is polyphyletic; and if the genus breaks up, which part continues to carry the genus name Monosiga (especially, is it possible that Monosiga brevicollis could have to become Etcetera brevicollis)
- more ...
Share your opinion
blog comments powered by Disqus